pubblicità

pubblicità

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Coping with the Heat, Italian Style

.

These are my two most recent acquisitions, made by a local artisan.  Now all I need are sandals to match.

In spite of their vulnerability to stiff necks and sore throats, the Italians are slowly surrendering to air-conditioners. Their tolerance to the heat is admirable. Today in 41 degree heat, I chuckled insidiously as I caught glimpse of a woman wearing short shorts, flip flops a see-though short top, and a heavy scarf frivolously wrapped three times around her throat. 
.
However, for me, it is still a challenge to take a passeggiata in Florence without some creative way of keeping myself cool.  A gelato cools the body, a bike creates a breeze, and so does a ventaglio.  I never thought I would ever own a ventaglio (fan), no less a seriously fashionable one.  But I just had to break down.  
.
Ah.....living the Italian life has changed everything about me. And I love it.