pubblicità

pubblicità

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Capri from the Inside






























.
.
.
.
.
.
I never wrote about my very special trip to Capri in September. It was such a stunning experience that I couldn't find the words. I still can't find the words.
.
In early September, Costantino, my very good Italian friend from Laguna Niguel invited me to Capri, to celebrate his 50th birthday. He and his wife Carol spend a month in Italy every year to visit his family in Capri, and to travel around. But this year was special for Costantino, because he was celebrating his 50th.
.
I hadn't seen Costantino since my last trip to San Clemente, where, 4 years before, we had met and became good friends and cycling buddies. By pure chance, we had met each other on the road in San Onofre, on our bikes. After a year of always passing each other going in the opposite direction, we finally both spontaneously slowed down, introduced ourselves and that was the start of our friendship. We spent alot of time riding together through Camp Pendleton, and eventually his wife Carol joined us, and she eventually became a cyclist herself.
.
Costantino was born and raised on Capri, the island next to Ischia where my family is from. So we share a common heritage, and this was the real thing that bonded us. We come from the same seriously crazy (totally nuts ) Napolitano blood, traditions and personality. Questo è qualcosa di molto particolare. Only an Italian would understand what I mean.
.
I, like most travelers, had only previously seen Capri from a tourist's perspective in all its fantasty and glamour.....too many years ago, with my ex. But this trip was very different and very special because this time I had the opportunity to see Capri from the perspective of a person who was raised and lived there for the first 21 years of his life.
.
I spent many special moments with him and his family, met many of his cousins, aunts and uncles who live there and own/manage some of the most celebrated hotels and restaurants on the island. With his wife, mother and sister, he took me everywhere and showed me everything. Like the soccer field that he played on as a teenager....like the church that he was baptized in.....like the cemetery where his father is buried. I learned many secrets of his past and met many of his childhood friends who never left the island and still remain there today. I saw a Capri that nobody gets to see.
.
For me, the highlight was the many wonderful meals prepared by his graceful, vivacious mother at her house, and the nostalgic fish dinner at his aunt's house. Not to mention his elegant birthday dinner at one of the top restaurants on the island. and dancing in a seriouis VIP nightclub afterwards until 4am. I enjoyed some surprises.....for instance.....I never realized just how "famous" Costantino is.....we were followed and photographed by Paparrazzi who jumped out of nightclubs, restaurants, piazzas....When Costantino told me what to do when we saw them, I laughed and thought he was kidding...but he wasn't kidding....it seemed that he owned the island. I was amazed! I was so honored to be the only "outside" guest who he invited to his magnificent 50th birthday celebration. Love you Costantino!