pubblicitĂ 

pubblicitĂ 

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Panzano with Leif

Today I did a bit of training with Leif, who is another tour guide and sommelier who has pretty much taught me the ropes of bike tour guiding. He's been working here as a professional bike and wine tour guide for 5 years. He's one of those cyclists who has a special sense of "radar"....he knows every inch of Tuscany's roads. He's been a great teacher and has taken a special interest in me. He's helped to orient me and has taught me not just the roads, but the best places for wine tastings, gelato stops, and has introduced to me to the owners of many B&B's, hotels in places like Radda, Castellina and Siena. He knows all the hot spots that tourists want to see, and where to take them for special meals, tours of vineyards and olive farms, etc. It has not only been a great education, but how could you not "love it"? I feel like a tourist myself...but wow...this is my work!!!

We rode south to Greve, where we refueled with a panino at Le Logge and then climbed further south to Panzano, where I was hoping the Conca d'Oro would be open, so that I could introduce Leif to the owners, who are friends of Gianluca. Unfortunately, they were closed, so we headed back for Firenze. It was pretty cool today, I had to wear panatloni, manicotti and a giacca antivento. Tomorrow we are heading further south, where he has some business to do at Castello di Brolio, (near Gaiole) where he's arranging a private wine tasting for some future clients. Next week, Leif and I will be working a tour together.