pubblicitĂ 

pubblicitĂ 

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hide and Seek

As the cycling season starts to slow down, my bike tours are starting to slow down too. The unpredicatability of the weather at this time of the year discourages travelers and cyclotourists who don't want to risk the chance of being rained out or too cold. But for the frequent cyclist or outdoorsman, it is precisely this uncertainty that allows us to discover the unique and thrilling moments and special secrets of Tuscany that others don't venture to see.
.
This is the first weekend since July that I am not working a bike tour, giving me the opportunity today to explore some backroads that I haven't seen and to participate in a fundraising race with my team tomorrow. I have not rode with my team in a long time, and can't wait to reunite with them.
.
Today I wore some extra layers and rode up to Bvigliano with the usual anticipation of uncovering new surprises that await me on the road. When riding alone, the silence invites me to listen to Tuscany as she talks to me in mysterious whispers. She lures me to slow down and breathe deep through my nose to smell what's happening in the air. She russels the branches to attract my attention to a team of boar hunters deep in the woods standing silent and still. She sends out a butterfly for my eyes to follow into the olive groves to see a little old man harvesting olives from the trees on his land.
.
It's like Tuscany is playing "Hide and Seek" with me. She only allows me to discover her hidden treasures if I slow down, immerse myself in her silence, seek and listen. If I had been racing my bike down the descent out of Bvigliano, I would never have seen this cow on the side of the road. There are countless treasures buried deep into Tuscany's land just waiting to be discovered by those who want to slow down , feel, listen, and seek beauty in the simple things. To me, this is what living in Italy is all about.