pubblicitĂ 

pubblicitĂ 

Friday, October 8, 2010

Special Visits From Afar

Having friends from the U.S. make a special trip to visit me in Florence is a thrilling way for me to reconnect with people that I love, and to reignite our friendships under the backdrop of fantastic Florence. It is thrilling to anticipate their hugs and their beaming smiles upon their arrival from their trains or planes.
.
It is such a treat to share moments with them when they are high on their travels and open minded to all the possibilities. Whipping up a simple Tuscan dinner and taking them to special off-the-beaten-track places that they would never otherwise have discovered, is special.
.
Last week my girlfriend Alessia from San Diego and her family (pictured above) came up to Florence to spend a day with me after spending a week sailing in the Mediterranean. We enjoyed reuniting over dinner. It was hard to say goodbye to her and her family as they embarked back to Naples.
.
One of the questions that my friends always ask me when they visit me here is "Do you think you will really stay forever?" And each time I answer "yes" with greater emphasis and conviction.
.
Yesterday Sheryl my dear friend from San Diego arrived and is spending a week with me. She rented a city bike and I took her for a ride to see the lay of the land. We stopped for a quick lunch at my favorite local pizzicheria where we sat on stools outside, eating a panino and a glass of Chianti, listening to the buzz of Florentines laughing and chatting about politics and work. Eugenio, the barrista now knows me and my favorite wines, so it has become a familiar place for me. Florence's close-knit community has become my home and it is always more evident when bumping into vendors and neighbors and merchants on the street who know me now by name. Such fun sharing my neighborhood with others! It makes them feel at home too, not like tourists!
.
Then we did more of the town and instead of having a formal dinner, we "aperitivo hopped" from one wine bar to another, having a prosecco and appetizers here and there, sampling the wines and hot spots of the night. After a Campari and soda, we traded in our bikes for some sleep.
.
The highlight of Sheryl's trip is coming up this weekend. Sheryl has signed up for the 2 day weekend bicycle tour that I am guiding for I Bike Italy.
.
I am so delighted that we have again been blessed with an extended summer. Yesterday it was sunny and 70 and this weekend promises to be the same. We are looking forward to a fantastic bike tour together! I have 4 more clients joining us, a perfect sized group. Looking forward to a weekend of adventure, seeing Tuscany again through several new eyes!