pubblicitĂ 

pubblicitĂ 

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Ferragosto

Today is Ferragosto in Italy, the feast day of Mary's Assumption. It is a major Italian holiday. It is also the day that the Romans honored the gods with a celebration they called Feriae Augusti. Ferragosto is, next to Christmas, Easter and New Years, the most important holiday in Italy. Most of the Italians take the entire month of August off anyway, but today the entire country is in shut-down mode. Similar to our Labor Day, but more significant.

Today I took a ride north again to Monte Senario, which has become my favorite quick ride. It's also the coolest, most shaded and most spiritual ride that I have found. Indeed, the city is deserted and the backroads which are always quiet, were just as quiet as usual. The photo above I took of a pretty farmhouse along the road on my way back from the convent.